As the pandemic rolls on so many of our clients are suffering for weeks or even months from the lingering symptoms following a COVID infection and also the revolving door of respiratory infections. We wanted to offer a simple way to boost immunity and relieve some of the debilitating symptoms of COVID as well as colds and flu.
Chinese style moxabustion or “moxa” consists of mugwort (Artemesia vulgaris) rolled into a cigar-like stick. This stick is ignited and the heat from the stick is indirectly applied over regions of the body or specific acupuncture points. Moxa has properties to warm the acupuncture meridians (heat can often be felt traveling along channels), stimulate circulation of qi and blood, boosts vitality and opens pores or collaterals. It has been traditionally used on specific acupuncture points during the changes of season to boost immunity and prevent illnesses such as the common cold and flu.
This package provides common and simple to locate acu-points that effectively boost immunity, energy levels and stamina, that may support your recovery for post-COVID/viral recovery.
Moxa is for personal use ONLY and are considered adjunctives for the prevention or relief of basic health complaints. They do not replace primary medical care and if your condition persists or worsens, consult your health care practitioner.
- The following techniques should be used in a well ventilated location and a container of water so that the moxa stick can be extinguished quickly.
- Those with asthma or sensitivity to smoke should use with caution. Discontinue if you are reacting to the smoke.
- Hold the moxa stick no closer than ½ inch away from the skin to prevent scalding or burning.
- Keep the lit moxa stick away from the face and hair. With excessively hairy parts of the body (ie. legs), you may choose to trim body hair to prevent burns.
- Use with caution if you have sensitive skin.
- DO NOT USE if you are showing signs of heat – fever, hot flashes, night sweating, hot palms and soles of feet or if the skin is broken or there are signs of infection.
Our kits include 2 smokeless moxa sticks and a detailed set of instructions.
Our kits are available in the lobby for $6
Individual moxa sticks for $2.50
We accept cash or card
If you have any questions, contact us
Here is our simple point selection to apply your moxa to:
CV 4 (Guan yuan) -on midline of the abdomen, 1 hand-width below the umbilicus.
It is traditionally used for menstrual issues and infertility (male or female). It can address dampness, such as diarrhea and frequent urination. It is great also for general energy and wellness.
ST 36 (Zu san li) – located on the lateral/outer side of the shin bone, measure 1 hand-width below the bottom of the kneecap.
A point commonly used to boost immunity and scientifically shown to treat anemia and other conditions related to blood cell production.
LI 10 (Shou san li) – a tender point located on the lateral/outer side of the forearm, 2 thumb-widths below the elbow crease when the elbow is bent at a 90º angle.
An immune point commonly used in Japanese style acupuncture systems.
*Have someone help you warm this point AND remember to put up your hair!*
DU 14 (Da zhui)– right below C7, you will see a prominent bump at the transition where your neck meets the upper back.
Traditional point for boosting immunity – it enhances the body’s ability to circulate the “Protective” (Wei) qi.